Design, fabrication, and characterization of micro- and nano-photonic devices:
- Athermal Silicon Waveguide Devices
- Silicon-based Optical Bio-Sensors
- Silicon Polarization Rotators, Multimode Ring Filters/Switches
- Silicon-based Solar Cells
- Silicon Stress Engineering
- Silicon-based Biophotonics
- Subwavelength Gratings (SWGs)
- Silicon Opto-electronics
- Photonic Device Physics and Fabrication
- Silicon All-optical Packet Switching
Biomedical and environmental sensing, telecommunications (polarization management, sensing, switching), and photovoltaics (high-efficiency solar cells).
- Session Chair and Technical Program Committee member for the Photonics North (2014)
- Tutorials and Workshop Chair, 14th IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology (2014)
- Session Chair and Technical Program Committee member for the SPIE Photonics North (2013)
- External referee for Grant proposals: Canada Research Chair (2013-2014), NSERC Discovery (2012, 2013), NSERC Strategic Grants (2010-2013), CFI-LOF (2010-2012), Fonds de Recherche du Québec - Nature et Technologies (2012).
- Chair of the Scientific Committee of the International Conference on Electrical and Computer Systems (ICECS'12) (2012)
- Ottawa Chapter Chair, IEEE Women in Engineering (2011-present)
- Scientific committee member for the International Conference on Nanotechnology: Fundamentals and Applications (ICNFA) (2010, 2011)
- Y. Xiong and W. N. Ye, "Silicon MZI racetrack microrings with MMI and DC couplers," submitted to IEEE J. Lightw. Technol., (Manuscript # PTL-26857-2013), 2014.
- A. Aleali, D.-X. Xu, J. H. Schmid, P. Cheben, and W. N. Ye, "Optimization of Strain-Induced Pockels Effect in Silicon Waveguides for Optical Modulators," submitted to IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., 2014.
- R. Veenkamp and W. N. Ye, "Plasmonic metal nanocubes for broadband photocurrent enhancement in thin-film a-Si solar cells", J. Appl. Phys., 115, 124317 p.1-8, Apr 2014.
- T. Tut, Y. Dan, P. Duane, W. N. Ye, F. Degirmenci, Y. Yu, M. Wober, K. B. Crozier, "Silicon photodetectors integrated with vertical silicon nitride waveguides as image sensor pixels: fabrication and charac-terization," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 32, 031201 p.1-8, 2014.
- Y. Xiong, D.-X. Xu, J. H. Schmid, P. Cheben, S. Janz, and W. N. Ye, "Robust silicon waveguide polarization rotator with an amorphous silicon overlayer," IEEE Photon. J., 6(2), 2200308, Apr 2014.
- B. A. Dorin and W. N. Ye, "Two-mode division multiplexing in a silicon-on-insulator ring resonator," Opt. Exp., 22 (4), pp.4547-4558, 2014.
- B. A. Dorin and W. N. Ye, "Conditions for Single-Mode and Birefringence-Free Ultrasmall SOI Rib Waveguides at 1310 nm," IEEE J. Lightw. Technol., pp. 3420 - 3424, Sep 2013.
- W. N. Ye and Y. Xiong, "Review on Silicon Photonics: History and Recent Advances," J. Mod. Opt., 60 (14), pp. 1299-1320, 2013.
- Y. Xiong and W. N. Ye, "Silicon MMI-coupled slotted conventional and MZI racetrack microring resonators," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., 25 (19), pp. 1185-1888, 2013.
- Y. Xiong and W. N. Ye, "Impact of LOCOS techniques on photonic wire waveguides," Appl. Opt., 51 (32), pp. 7788-7793, 2012.
- Y. Xiong and W. N. Ye, "Silicon-based all-optical Ring-assisted Mach-Zehnder Interferometer Switch of a Single Wavelength," Appl. Opt., 51 (29), pp. 7090-7093, 2012.
- M. Ibrahim, J. H. Schmid, A. Aleali, P. Cheben, J. Lapointe, S. Janz, P. J. Bock, A. Densmore, B. Lamontagne, R. Ma, D.-X. Xu, and W. N. Ye, "Athermal silicon waveguides with bridged subwavelength gratings for TE and TM polarizations," Opt. Exp., 20 (16), pp. 18356-18361, 2012.
- T. Smy, P. Gunupudi, S. McGarry and W. N. Ye, "Circuit-level Transient Simulation of Configurable Ring Resonators using Physical Models," J. Opt. Am. B, 28 (6), pp. 1534-1543, 2011.
- J. H. Schmid, M. Ibrahim, P. Cheben, J. Lapointe, S. Janz, P. J. Bock, A. Densmore, B. Lamontagne, R. Ma, W. N. Ye, and D.-X Xu, "Temperature-independent silicon subwavelength grating waveguides," Opt. Exp., 36 (11), pp. 2210-2212, 2011.
- W. N. Ye, P. Duane, M. Wober, K. B. Crozier, "Fabrication of high-aspect ratio lightpipes," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 29 (3), 031206, pp.1-5, 2011.
- V. Raghunathan, W. N. Ye, J. Hu, T. Izahara, J. Michel, L. C. Kimerling, "Achieving Athermal operation of Silicon waveguides: spectral, second order and footprint dependencies," Opt. Exp., 18 (17), pp.17631-17639 (2010).
- E. Schonbrun, W. N. Ye, and K. B. Crozier, "Scanning microscopy using a short-focal-length Fresnel zone plate," Opt. Lett. 34, pp. 2228-2230 (2009).